I came across this issue yesterday after downloading and installing several updates to a laptop that had never got any updates since Windows 7 was setup. It was I think more that 130 important and optional updates. As soon as installed the updates, it automatically restarted the laptop and causes this looping issue of "failure configuring windows updates reverting changes". In a simple word, it was stuck on that screen.
I tried every possible steps from restarting the machine even it says "do not turn off your computer" to booting to Safemode. But here's what I did to solve this issue:
1. Restart your PC/laptop
2. Keep tapping F8 as soon as see the initialization screen
3. Choose Safemode
4. Once Safemode is fully loaded, hit Start>type cmd
5. Right click on cmd and chose Run as Administrator
6. On the Command Prompt screen type sfc /scannow
7. When its done, type chkdsk /f/r
8. Restart the PC/laptop and boot to Windows as normal
Hope that helps.